Sunday, March 10, 2013

In which I don't talk about writing...

I've been thinking lately of where I'd like to go if I got the chance to travel again.  Over the years I have been to Canada, Mexico, Honduras, and Indonesia.  Although these opportunities have blessed me in various ways; I can't say that any of these locations were a part of my Travel Bucket List.  In truth my List is quite small.  There are really only three locations on my mind as I write this.


1. Machu Picchu: 15th-century Inca site. 7,192' Elevation. Cusco Region of Peru, South America.




To be honest, I never thought much of Machu Picchu.  In fact, I'm not sure I had heard about it until college; and that was only because of a brief line in a poem I read by Gwendolyn Brooks.  I didn't think about it again until a few years later as I was flipping through channels, and PBS was showing a special on the Inca Civilization.  The majesty surrounding this now empty city was breathtaking on film, and I realized that I wanted to stand there myself one day.  I imagine it is quite humbling.  You can travel there by train- and I have always wanted to travel by train!  There is an impressive hike up of course, but totally worth it.

Also- look how much fun these alpaca's are having!



2. France: No city in particular.






I want to visit France one day.  I actually made a promise to my Father that I would.  He had me promise to find a small cafe, sit outside, and have wine, with cheese.  He had traveled there himself for work, and I know that he wished he could have taken me to see it.  We lost him several years back, and I miss him greatly.  This is not a promise I intend to break.


 



3.  Scotland:  My heritage.



I am not fully of Scottish descent; perhaps three-quarters?  However, no place in the world feels so uniquely home to me then Scotland.  I know that my anticipation may exceed reality when I finally get to go; but somehow, I don't think so.



Where would you go?



No comments:

Post a Comment