Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Who's Regina?


Please enjoy the following except from the book I'm working on.  It's a fictional mystery-comedy-romantic-thingy!

Want to know who Regina is? You'll have to buy my book!*  Spoilers:  She's not that important.

*If its ever published. If its ever finished...

“Officer Henry?”

He smiled. “Hi. Ms. Fifer was it?”

“Yes, you got it, but you can call me Molly…” I didn’t know what to say. Regina was screaming.

“And you can call me Henry.” He looked about. “Quiet tonight.”

“Yep.” Oh, god. I searched for something to say. “Did you learn anything from the Stepford- um the Women’s group?”

He ran a hand up over his face and hair in exasperation. “No... actually I had Frank at the station call their group president to make inquiries.”

He said ‘inquiries’. How cute.

“Would you like to sit down?” I asked.

He nodded and took the chair across from me. “Thanks. Frank didn’t come up with much. The woman said that they had talked to a young man that night but only to ask for help setting up.”

I wrinkled my forehead. “No. That isn’t right. I heard them ask for his input and saw him sitting at the table. He wasn’t setting anything up.”

“That's what you said, yes. I thought it might be worth coming in person. I don’t tend to take the lead when making calls. My accent is too noticeable. Hard to play incognito later when I need to meet suspects in person.”

I smiled. “It’s definitely a signature trait. A southwest accent doesn’t hold up much next to yours.” It was sweet he thought people wouldn’t immediately recognize him regardless. Unlike me most of the town long ago heard of the Irish cop aka the only Irish person within 75 miles of Autumn Falls.

“Thank you! See I keep telling everyone that THEY have the accent but they won’t listen.”

I grinned. “Would you like some coffee?”

He was surprised. “That would be lovely, thank you. Black coffee is fine.”

He said ‘lovely.’ I don’t think I ever enjoyed the sound of that word more.

“I’ll be back.”

At the counter Cindy was blushing. “What a handsome guy!”

I smiled, “You know it! He’d like a medium coffee please. No room.”

No comments:

Post a Comment