Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Process

My writing process has evolved significantly within the last six months.  If you count holding a flickering plot line in your head for 12 years a process.  Now, rather than stuffing ideas deep in my mind for safe keeping, they are scattered across my life; under bedside tables, on desks, in my car, crumpled in purses, and inevitably, misplaced.  It's as though notebooks and scraps of paper roam free across the landscape of my life, sometimes disappearing for days at a time.  One such wanderer carried off a fairly important scene that I will be hard pressed to recreate.

Losing your work is a heartbreaking event.  Not long ago, after getting down the bulk of my story, Technology had a good laugh at my expense, and failed to save a single word.  I was in shock, and found myself unable to rewrite what came so naturally before.  With regret, I filed my project away, once again in the back of my mind, until I felt it was time to try again.  Needless to say, there is a lot of backing-up going on these days.

So, there is improvement in my process;  I am maturing, but organization is key.  I'll have to let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! But I'm with you, lost work is the worst. And middles kinda suck.

    *kicks middles*

    ReplyDelete